Weydon and Christ's College Boys Dance Groups in performance at Farnham Maltings © Ciarran Minns
Boys Dance Project LEG-IT
Christ's College in Farnham in Bloom's Make That Change Performance Jul 2017 © Floyd
Following start up funding from Active Surrey The Dance Movement set-up their boys dance programme, LEG-IT at two schools in Surrey.
LEG-IT Boys ONLY dance sessions are run in partnership with two host secondary schools, Weydon School in Farnham and Christ’s College in Guildford.
The boys work with Rachel Palmer from the Company every week. Their classes focus on performance, fitness, contemporary dance techniques, ballet and improvisation.
Leg-it is open to any boy aged 10+
Venues & Days:
- Guildford (Christ's College) Mondays
- Farnham (Weydon School) Tuesdays
Sign up to Dance Here:
Email us to sign up for your class or to reques more information.
£45 p/term Weydon Leg-it
£FREE to Christ's College students
or £45 for outside students.
Rachel Palmer, Director of The Dance Movement is really pleased with how the project is progressing, “Setting up a boys only dance project is not without challenges. Unbelievably still at the forefront is overcoming prejudice about boys dancing. I am so proud of the lads who continue to sign up for this project and stand up to peer pressure, they work relentlessly to make the project the success it is. I absolutely love enabling boys to dance, the energy lads bring to the dance studio and their ability to take risks is so inspiring.”
To date the boys have worked together to perform at:
- Christ's College & Weydon School's Dance Concerts 2015 - 2017
- G Live as part of an evening with Ballet Boyz May '16
- Farnham Maltings, as part of The Big Red Dance Bus (a national touring event) June '16
- Farnham Blooming for the Farnham in Bloom competition 2016 & 2017
- Spark, Waverley Youth Arts Festival 2016 & 2017
- Dance in the Meadow 2017
- James Finnemore Residency August 2017